Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Servings: 8 • Size: 1 boat• Calories: 153
- 1 1/4 cups marinara (I used Bertolli Vineyard with Merlot. Mmmmm)
- 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil (or however much it takes to make stuff stop sticking… )
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced (I DID NOT ADD >:P)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (I did not add b/c The Boy’s meds)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (EWEEWEWEWEW! NO! I added a handful of (skinny) ASPARAGUS chopped into ~half inch pieces)
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (Al Fresco) (I used BULK!)
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella (I bought nonshredded, and then shredded it myself. It isn’t as dry that way, imo)
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese (I’m not measuring that! They’re crazy! I did half a cup.)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4” thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12” baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside.
Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini and asparagus, season with salt and pepper (I FORGOT TO DO THIS! OOPS!) and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes. «< I SKIPPED THAT CRAP.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.